- Up-to-date producer membership
- Submitted inspection certificate (valid for value-added food producers)
- Agreement to Producer Terms found above
- Submitted digital business logo and picture (if available)
- Have read and fully understand and agree to our product policy (Appendix A)
I authorize Eat Local Grey Bruce to list me as a producer member on printed material and through social media and online. This includes the following:
Name of Business, Name of Owners or Operators, Location, Phone, E-Mail and Website
I, as a producer member of Eat Local Grey Bruce, am committed to using ecological business and production practices whenever possible, and will continue to integrate methods and practices into my business that will decrease the ecological footprint. I understand that as a member of the co-op, I am as responsible as any other member to be conscious of my impact on the environment and to make changes to improve sustainability for all.
Eat Local Grey Bruce Co-operative Inc.
*Exceptions/changes can be made to this policy only with ELGB board approval.*
All local producers must commit to the objectives of the coop as stated in the by-laws.
Products sold on the Eat Local Grey Bruce online store are given preference based on the following hierarchy:
Level 1: Ecologically-produced local food
Level 2: Locally-produced food
Level 3: Certified Organic Ontario-produced food
Level 4: Ecologically-produced Ontario food
Level 5: Ontario-produced food
Level 6: Imported – Certified organic food.
- Locally-produced food: Whole food products (i.e. vegetables, meat, etc) grown within a 120km radius from Owen Sound. OR value-added food products (i.e. jams, pickles, pies) that are made within 120-km radius of Owen Sound AND contains at least one main ingredient grown within a 120-km radius of Owen Sound.
- Ontario-produced food: Whole food products grown within the province of Ontario OR value-added food products that are made in Ontario AND contain at least one main ingredient grown within Ontario unless the main ingredients are not commercially grown within Ontario. Preferential treatment for products that do not contain GMOs.
- Certified organic food: Food products that have been certified by a regulatory body as meeting all the requirements of organic food production and that are labelled as such.
- Ecologically-grown food:
- Humanely-raised (i.e. access to pasture during the summer months and adequate space over the winter)
- Free of growth hormones and sub-therapeutic antibiotics
- Non-GMO feed
- Free from Genetically Modified Organisms (GMOs)
- Free from chemical pesticides and fertilizers
General Co-op Product Policies:
- Eat Local Grey Bruce Co-operative will sell only locally-grown vegetables & fruit from June 1st to October 31st or as they are available.
- Eat Local Grey Bruce Co-operative will sell only locally-grown meat products year-round.
- Non-food products (i.e. wool, books, preserving equipment, ELGB promotional items) may be sold with board approval.
- Preference will be given to products of Ontario first, then to products of Canada, then to Internationally-made products.
4. Food additives:
a. Products containing food additives (such as artificial sweeteners, high glucose corn syrup or MSG) will not be sold at
the co-op UNLESS those food additives are more or less essential to the preservation of that product (i.e. nitrites in deli
meat) OR UNLESS otherwise deemed appropriate by the Board of Directors.
b. Flours that were desiccated with a glyphosate product shall not be allowed.
Food Labelling Policies
1. Informational sheets about ELGB producers and their products will be made available on the website as soon as
possible (pending staffing) after a new product enters the online store.
2. Other labelling that provides an educational benefit to members and customers will be completed as time and
3. Must be labeled in accordance with Local Health Unit standards – i.e. ingredients and contact info.